Your Quality Custom Home In Southeastern CT Starts Here
The building process has three main components:
- Budget – Your budget governs spending and activities regarding land, house plan and detailed interior home design.
- Documentation – Once you select land and establish your budget, the next phase is documentation, which consists of the construction contract, site plan and home plan.
- Permitting – The permitting process consists of applying for and getting approval for required town permits.
Continue reading to learn more about each of these stages in more detail.
Step 1: Setting The Right Budget To Meet Your Needs
Your budget represents your financial contribution in terms of dollars. Together, we review all components of the budget upfront to ensure your new home plan meets your financial and personal needs. In this phase, allowances will be set and finishes will be discussed to ensure that your personal choices and preferences are in alignment with your allowable budget. The overall budget for your new home will be broken down into three main categories: Land, House Plan and Interior Design.
Custom Designs & Sample Home Plans
Finding and customizing a house plan to suit your functional needs and design style is one of the most rewarding reasons to build new! Click here to view samples of custom home plans and layouts. Following are some options to consider as you begin the search for your perfect home plan:
- Reagan Homes has house plans available, and our team can help you select a style that suits your taste and budget. Our in-house design team can modify existing floor plans to suit your specific needs.
- Search home plans online. Many sites offer architect-designed home plans, from basic to sophisticated. The more time you spend reviewing these websites, the more knowledgeable you become with regard to home design. Before purchasing a house plan, have our team review them online to be sure your choice is within your budget and meets area building codes, etc.
- Hire an architect or home designer to design a fully custom home; fees for these services vary depending on complexity of the plan. Reagan Homes offers professional in-house design services, or we can refer you to a talented architect.
- Together, we review your house plan and make certain the details meet your needs. The review process includes the following items:
- Living space requirements
- Room layouts
- Window placement
- Lighting, switches and outlets
- Door swing and position of exits
- Interior and exterior trim
- Furniture layout
- Heating elements
- Basement and mechanical layout
Land & Available Lots In Southeastern CT
The total amount you spend on land includes the purchase price of the property, permitting fees and site work costs. To ensure the land component is within your budget, our team will evaluate these costs before you fully commit to your land purchase. Click here to view available lots and/or home packages
Land – Permitting
When considering property to purchase, you have three general choices:
- Select a home package that includes fully permitted land and a pre-determined house plan.
- Purchase a fully permitted lot and choose the house plan you wish.
- Purchase your own plot of land, attain permits yourself and then choose your house plan.
The permitting process can be complex. If the land you wish to purchase is unimproved, eliminate frustration and save time by having our team assist you with the following:
- Analyze the land and make sure the lot is buildable (e.g., no zoning or wetland issues)
- Identify potential hidden costs and help negotiate a better price if there are existing issues such as ledge or significant additional fill requirements
- Arrange for the completion of land and wetlands surveys as needed
- Draft a floor plan, house design and budget sufficient to proceed with your land purchase
- Attain town zoning permit, or written acknowledgement that the lot is buildable prior to your property closing
Land – Site Work
Site work has a direct impact on the total cost of land, depending on the extent of work required. We help you assess these costs and include them in your budget. The elements of the site work budget are as follows:
- Foundation: access, windows & walkouts
- Septic or city sewer connection
- Well or public water connection
- Utilities: electric, gas/propane, phone & cable
- Land: fill, grading, clearing, tree preservation, lawn and landscaping
Our team will help you locate the best aesthetic and “green” position for your home, and the most cost efficient placement, based on your lot topography. Once the site work requirements have been established, the next step is to order a site plan, which we can assist you with. The site plan determines the location of the structure on the property, and addresses set-backs, grading and septic requirements. Once complete, we arrange to have the site plan approved by the town zoning office.
Interior Design Services
Interior design is likely the most exciting and fun component of the building process. Planning interior design elements directly impact your budget, and it is important to control costs. Click here to view our exciting gallery of interior design options. Our team will help you prioritize your needs and most important desires, enabling you to achieve the style that you want, while maintaining your budget. And though we are happy to accommodate your change requests, we also give you an Accountability Study to show the impact your change requests will have on your budget.
Here are some tips to keep you on budget; be assured we guide and help you understand each step:
- You generally receive allowances for cabinetry, countertops, flooring, plumbing and lighting fixtures. We determine correct allowances for your home by carefully listening to your needs.
- You need to understand how allowances work and how much you have for each allowance. Staying within allowances helps to remain within your budget.
- You can purchase custom design upgrades for your home; the cost of these upgrades is determined and factored into your budget at the time they are made.
- You will need to choose most of your interior design elements ahead of time to keep your project cost efficient and moving ahead smoothly. To help simplify this process for you, we give you a scheduled task list and work through your choices with you.
- You can rely on our expertise and experience to help you choose design elements and furnishings.
Step 2: Documentation
The client and Reagan Homes will affirm agreement to all elements of the budget through the construction agreement and construction documents. Significant components of each include:
- Legal – respective responsibilities of buyer and general contractor
- Time – defines the time required to get permits, begin and complete construction, and warranty period
- Payment – timing of payments are based on completion of construction milestones
- Specifications – elevation, floor plan, materials, finishes, and specific details of the home
- Warranties – both home and manufacturer warrenties
- Building Plans – detailed dimensions, materials and location of all design elements, all according to code and plan
- Site Plan – placement of house, grading, septic and well
Step 3: Permitting
In addition to your zoning permit, your house requires a building permit, periodic building department inspections upon completion of milestones (e.g., framing, roof and electrical system), approval of an as-built site plan and certificate of occupancy. Reagan Homes takes care of all permitting on your behalf. Additionally, our long-term, cooperative relationships with town officials throughout Southeast Connecticut and Southern Rhode Island help your permitting process run smoothly.
SOUTHEASTERN CT HOME BUILDER FOR QUALITY CUSTOM HOMES IN MYSTIC, WATERFORD, EAST LYME, STONINGTON, GROTON, OLD LYME, ESSEX, OLD SAYBROOK & NEW LONDON, CT